Thursday, February 09, 2006

angry letter

This is a copy of the angry letter I sent today to the CEO of Salton Inc. It is a little more restrained than my usual screeds, but I thought I would try a more modest approach this time. (The angry approach works just fine too).

Enclosed in the box that I sent is indeed the offending toaster.

January 30, 2006

To: Mr. David C. Sabin
Salton Inc.
1955 Field Court
Lake Forest, IL 60045

cc: Chairman Hal Stratton
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Washington DC 20207-0001

Dear Mr. Sabin:

It is my sincere hope that you can find an appropriate use for the enclosed gift. It would work well as a stylish paperweight in your office. Or you could utilize the convenient slots for storing CDs. Better yet, it might make an impressive decorative item for your home kitchen, as it recently did for ours.

One thing I would not recommend, however, would be using this to toast assorted breads.

My fiancee and I purchased this toaster for more than $50 only four months ago. We spent our hard-earned money on your brand becaue, though more expensive than your competition, toastmaster (R) was a reputable brand.

That reputation is now tarnished. We might as well have chosen a cheaper toaster, because the one made by your company quit working after a few months of extremely light use. You may notice the depressor refuses to remain deployed while attempting to toast.

What's remarkable is this product ostensibly met with your quality standards before being sold, as evidenced by the "Q.C. pass" sticker on its underbelly.

I may have dismissed this breakdown as an anomaly, had I not recently realized it is your same company that makes the Juiceman, another kitchen appliance that quit working on me after mere months of use. (The motor died long ago).

Considering I have spent hundreds of dollars between these two products, I can assure you that I will never buy another Salton product.

Please understand my intention in writing is not to request a refund. I do not have a receipt, nor was a warranty offered. My hope, however, is that you realize consumers like myself are exasperated by your dedication to producing junk at the minimal possible cost to your company.

I am sure you pay pennies on the dollar to manufacture these toasters in China, then have them shipped here. May I suggest, Mr. Sabin, that you are getting what you pay for? In the long run, that mentality chases away repeat business from customers like myself. This is a disheartening, yet all too common practice in today's corporate culture.

So enjoy your new toaster. Rather than buy another one of your unreliable products, I'll be content to make my toast the old-fashioned way -- cranking up the broiler in the oven.


Regrettably,

Pete

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger Joependleton said...

cat, you are hard core. I have to rip you for spending $50 for a toaster, but that's another story.

Good letter.

I'm sure the unpaid interns in the mail room are getting a good laugh out of that one and are probably putting a $2 part into the toaster and taking it home for themselves.

By the way, the broiler is very underrated.

Nice work.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Cat,

By not sending it to their customer service desk, I hope to avoid the mail room. ...

That's why I took the trouble to look up the CEO and company headquarters, and ship off a big-ass box to the stupid David C. Sabin, who is pulling in $420K per year to manufacture shitty toasters, according to my research on ameritrade.com.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said...

Pete....I promise not to ever piss you off for fear a letter with, as local shill would say, "salty language" appear in my mailbox.

I find it interesting to see this timeline on the website.

History of Salton

1831 Ingraham® brand name on time products used since 1831

1926 1st pop-up toaster introduced by Toastmaster®

1947 Salton® brand introduced

1988 Current Corporation founded

1991 Initial public offering

1993 Breadman® and Juiceman® acquired

2006 David Sabin receives angry letter from Peter Bigelow, who uses words like "underbelly" and "paperweight" to get his point across.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home