Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Mitt


By now you have heard that Mrs. VFR and I are moving to Michigan. It is probably fair to say this is as big a surprise to us as it is to everyone else. Amid finding a place to live and making moving arrangements, there have been a few times that we've looked at each other and said, "Can you believe we're moving? ... To Michigan?"

It is fair to say we're a bit blindsided by this new reality, but we are very excited. It's a great town, great job, great paper. I don't think I could have envisioned a better overall situation. We're ready to dive in head-first.

A couple people have asked how and when this all came about. I sent in my stuff a while ago, and got the first phone call a couple of days before the Nov. 4 event. There was a hiatus for about 10 days, then it progressed once things settled down. We visited in late November. The offer came about 10 days later.

A couple people have also asked what all this means for flying. It means that I'm going to stop considering it as a career and return it to favorite hobby status. At this point, it wouldn't make sense to go from square 11 in journalism back to square one in aviation.

I will most certainly keep all of my licenses current and use them often to travel around our new state. I've already checked out a few landing strips in the area.

Once I settle into the new gig, maybe I'll even look to do a little freelance instruction if the opportunity presents itself. We'll see. Right now, my focus is on the new job and helping Mrs. VFR get settled.

So that probably spares all of you future snooze-inducing posts on stall-spin dynamics and acronyms like TOMATO FLAMES plus FLAPS and GRABCARD in FAR 91.205 (c) and (d).

You may even be rewarded by the move, because it will only enhance my music-related entries. Out here, I can only count Big Head Todd and the Monsters and The Fray as hometown influences.

In Michigan, we will be in the home of Motown, The Supremes, Gladys Knight and The Pips, Bob Seeger, Madonna, Eminem, Ted Nugent of Damn Yankees fame, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and The Jackson 5. Not saying I'm a rabid fan of all those, but when you put that group up against the Colorado exports, it's a slam-dunk.

Our movers arrive one week from today. We will hit that sweet highway, as Dave Brown would say, the day after Christmas.

Hope you all have a great holiday.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Ericka Bigelow said...

I never should have said that I like adventure and moving.

I lied, I lied. Now can we stay?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Todd Cohen said...

I think this line explains it all

"At this point, it wouldn't make sense to go from square 11 in journalism back to square one in aviation."

Cat, I'm in square 2 in teaching and I wouldn't even consider going back to square 5 at Merrill Lynch.

Great....now it sounds like we're dancing like two gay men.

Not what I need.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said...

"... Ted Nugent of Damn Yankees fame..."

Dude. How can you identify Ted Nugent primarily as a member of Damn Yankees??? The man was a legend before the short-lived Supergroup was ever conceived!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger SJPSandman said...

While working at a pharmacy in Warren, I once filled Dave Brown's prescription.
Judging by his career, apparently it was the wrong drug.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Pete said...

Local,

While doing some cleaning for the upcoming move, I unearthed a true gem. ... a copy of a column that Mr. Brown wrote entitled "Breakfast with the Browns."

I will be making copies and distributing them as soon as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home