Monday, April 10, 2006

Bruuuuce

Thanks to a tip from my favorite reader, I heard one of the new songs of the upcoming Springsteen release on KBCO tonight. Admittedly, I felt lukewarm about the upcoming release of "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" prior to this radio tease.

Now, I am legitimately excited.

Originally, I wasn't sure. No one warrants more praise than Bruce for constantly pushing his boundaries and producing meaningful, compelling work. An album paying tribute to his American folk roots is worthy of much respect. But I wondered if it would be notable only for the subject matter and not the music. That's kind of how I felt about segments of Devils and Dust.

But after listening to the one track played by KBCO, a New Orleans jazz romp of "Jacob's Ladder," I have little doubt that Springsteen's ambition will pay off. Can't wait until April 25.

***

In honor of his latest album, I was thinking about Bruce's best lyrics of all-time. Most artists seem to have a signature line -- like Neil Young's "It's better to burn out than fade away." I'm not sure Big Scooter has something that memorable, but off the top of my head, here are some of Bruce's best. Feel free to add to this list:

"For the ones who had a notion
A notion deep inside.
That it ain't no sin
To be glad your alive"
(Badlands)

"It's a town full of losers
And I'm pullin' out of here to win"
(Thunder Road)

This one I always love:
"Tom said, "Mom, wherever there's a cop beating a guy
Whenever a hungry newborn baby cries
Where there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air
Look for me Mom, I'll be there."
(GOTJ)

One more for the road...
"We're going out where the sand's turning to gold
So put on your stocking's baby,
'Cuz the night's gettin' cold."
(Atlantic City)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Joependleton said...

On his right hand Billy tattooed the word love and on his left hand was the word fear
And in which hand he held his fate was never clear
Come Indian summer he took his young lover for his bride
And with own hands built a great house down by the riverside

(Cautious Man)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Pete said...

For some reason, I really like "I'm a long gone Daddy in the USA" from BITUSA as well.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger heather said...

hey pete, thanks for stopping by the blog. i agree that if i were a musician, i would not play somewhere like china. not only do you have the human rights violations, but then they also have to censor their work, which - come on - everyone knows the Stones sing about sex. Wa-hoo.

One of my favorite Bruce lyrics is:

Now young faces grow sad and old and hearts of fire grow cold
We swore blood brothers against the wind
I'm ready to grow young again
And hear your sister's voice calling us home across the open yards
Well maybe we could cut someplace of our own
With these drums and these guitars

(No Surrender)

Plus, anything (and the way he sings it) from the acoustic version of Born to Run off that Chimes of Freedom CD that I posted awhile back. Crazy gorgeous.

NIIIICE POST!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Pete said...

One more off BITUSA that I thought of after reading the No Surrender lyrics. ...

From Dancin' In The Dark: "Man, I'm just tired and bored with myself."

Mostly, because I remember at the time thinking how perfectly that summed up how I felt when I was rotting under Jack's rule as a part-timer, living at home post-graduation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home