Monday, October 03, 2005

Freedom Park

I'm getting a little tired of hearing how American soldiers are dying in Iraq to protect my freedom. This is a ludicrous notion.

No, they're not.

They're dying to bring freedom to the Sunnis and Kurds -- and that's if you buy the best-case justification produced by the United States government for our little war in the sandbox. For the sake of argument, let's say I believe that logic. Still, the war has nothing to do with my freedom.

I don't buy into the idea that a country gives me freedom. I was born free. I have free will. More likely, a government will attempt to curb my freedom. (Especially here in the post-Ashcroft United States, but that's an entry for another day).

Therefore, I take umbrage with the belief that I owe my government something in exchange for my freedom.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home